- NEVER pay for a vehicle by instant cash transfer, such as Western Union or Moneygram.
- GET a vehicle history report before purchasing a used car. Make sure that any issues such as a lien or criminal activity are removed or taken care of before purchasing the car.
- BEWARE of fraudsters who send fake email messages claiming to represent an established company or offer escrow services.
- VALIDATE the vehicle description by getting the vehicle inspected. Some sellers offer buyers a condition guarantee in which they will allow the buyer to get the vehicle inspected before purchase.
- RESEARCH the pricing information, specs and photos, ratings and reviews.