Being a caregiver is very rewarding and satisfying; however it can be stressful, taxing, depressing, and frustrating at times. Caregivers should know that they are not alone. Tips that can make the care giving situation manageable while caring for others:
- Accept limitations. The caregiver cannot do everything and is not expected to do everything.
- Get organized. Care giving requires great management skills, and being an organized caregiver, makes for easier and rewarding care giving experience.
- Schedule a time for self. Make time to do things that bring joy, outside of doing the laundry and running errands.
- Live healthy. Have regular visits with the doctor, take medications, exercise, eat well, and get enough sleep.
- Attend caregiver support group meetings, either in person or online. Caregivers are not alone in care giving challenges, and the support of others can be helpful.
- Relax and take a break every once in a while. If possible, consider a respite option for the loved one being cared for.
Being a caregiver for someone can be exhausting, confusing, frustrating, and terrifying, but knowing that the caregiving is being done in love and caring for someone else, can make it all worth it.
Caregivers must take care of themselves so they can be better caregivers to someone else!